The adventures of the vessel "The Hard Six" and the man owned by her!

Saturday, October 20, 2012

The New Headliner

One of the very first things I wanted to do when I saw the boat was to replace the headliner. The material that was installed when the boat was new was this sort of carpet that resembled monkey fur. Over the years it had yellowed, it had stains from the previous owner (who was a smoker), water marks from leaks, and even had pulled away in some places.

Somehow I managed to have no photos of the before. Not sure how that happened!

The first vendor I hired did an incredibly bad job. So bad, in fact, that I fired him from the job and tore all his work out after he left my vessel. I won't give any names, but I think this photo speaks for itself:

The new vendor was appalled by the work done by the previous one. Told me all the reasons that it failed, and suggested the best way possible to redo it. 

You'll notice that the bulkheads that divide the head from the cabin are missing as well. The headliner guy suggested that the job would look much better if I pulled them. They needed recovered anyway, so I did. You can see that in another blog entry

 The material used is a suede - almost feels like a microfiber.

Now there are jobs I'll do, and jobs I know I won't be able to do well. This one falls in the latter category. 

I'm thrilled with how it came out and really feel like it updates the look of the cabin from 1986 to 2012. 

No comments:

Post a Comment